Monday, September 28, 2026

Inclusivity Requires Humility: Sept 27

Year A, Pentecost 18                                               Philippians 2:1-13                                                                                                

                In this reading from Paul’s letter to the Philippians, we see an area where Paul really shines…and that is when he’s talking about how to be a community of faith.  Paul has a variety of advice on how we work for unity within a community. In the reading we have today, he emphasizes that one of the ways we can truly be a healthy community is by sharing in the same Spirit -- doing nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility. That’s not easy advice, is it?  We have witnessed a serious lack of humility in all kinds of places.  It feels like more so recently, but perhaps I am just more aware now. 

            “Let the same mind be in you that was in Christ Jesus, who, though he was in the form of God, did not regard equality with God as something to be exploited, but emptied himself, taking the form of a slave, being born in human likeness.” You know that riddle? Could God create a bolder that even God could not move?  Turns out…the answer is yes.  God emptied Godself when he was born as a human on this earth.  God took on all the human frailty that we share.  God inhabited a body that was capable of sickness and pain.  He needed sleep and rest just like the rest of us.  God didn’t have to make Jesus a real human.  God could have created someone that looked like a human and sounded like a human, but didn’t have any human frailty.

            That was aa big debate in the early church. Was Jesus a normal human or did he just appear that way?  They could not wrap their heads around a God who would accept the limitations of a human body and would even go so far as to die…to be crucified.  Being crucified was a shameful way to die.  The Romans made it into a public spectacle to humiliate the crucified person and all who were connected to that person.  But when Paul talks about the cross and the crucifixion of Jesus (which he does a fair amount), he doesn’t talk about humiliation. He said that Jesus “humbled himself and became obedient to the point of death---even death on a cross.” Apparently the Greek word that Paul used to describe Jesus’ humility was very unusual.  They think that his use of it was unique…that perhaps he coined it. Later, after Paul died, that Greek word was transformed into an insult.  It was used to describe someone who was weak.

            I have talked about an illness that I experienced 4 years ago probably too often and I am going to talk about it again as it was a formative experience for me. I had a horrible infection in my leg that required multiple surgeries.  After the first surgery, they wanted me to stay in bed for as much as possible.  Usually after surgeries they get you up right away, but that was not the plan for me.  So after two weeks in the hospital they removed all the wrapping on my leg. It was painful as it pulled off a lot of skin.  I cried a lot.  When I was done crying from the pain, I looked at my leg and burst into tears again because my muscles had totally atrophied. I could no longer pick up my leg on my own. I couldn’t believe that I could lose all my strength in two weeks.  That is how frail the human body is. I have never felt so embarrassed by my own weakness.  No matter how much they explained that I would get my strength back, I couldn’t see past my own weakness.  Obviously, I regained my muscle…eventually.  But I have to remind myself sometimes that wasn’t some innate weakness that was unique to me.  It’s just the human body. It totally baffles me that Jesus took that human body…by choice.

            Jesus took on that weakness so he could truly know us.  I believe the hope was that in worshipping a God who had weaknesses, that would empower us to acknowledge our own frailties and weaknesses and maybe identify with one another a little better.  If that was part of the plan, I don’t think it worked.  We still feel this need to pretend that we are all strong and we each got that strength from a combination of good genes, extra hard work and whatever else you want to fill in.  The problem is that when we have that attitude, we then judge others who don’t display strength in the same way we do.  We criticize them for not having enough grit or resilience.  We love our grit in Philadelphia. Grit is great…but we might overdo it a little. 

We don’t reward humility. We reward strength, excellence and confidence.   If that is what we consistently reward, consistently honor in others, then we can’t ever have a truly inclusive community—one where we celebrate having the same mind, the same love, being in full accord and of one mind.  Because the way we put valuations on others and ourselves is by constantly comparing ourselves to others.  Right? We see that so much in social media right now…but it’s not just on social media. It’s always been like that.  That is what Paul is saying we can’t do in a Christian community.   We can’t determine our own value by putting others down.

            Paul encouraged the Philippians and us to let the same mind be of us in that is in Christ Jesus…who emptied himself. What would that look like…to empty ourselves? I don’t know, but I think it’s worth considering and praying for. When I pray for others and myself, I pray for strength.  I rarely pray for humility.  There is a part of me that thinks that humility just comes from failures and I don’t want any more of them. I feel like I have had my fill.  But that’s not what humility is.  It’s not a consolation prize we get for failing.  Humility is what comes when we voluntarily give up some of our own power or authority so someone else can rise up.  In emptying ourselves, we are allowing someone else to be filled. That is what Jesus did for us and continues to do.  It’s also what we can do for one another. 

            One of the things I love about baptism is that it’s a gift that Jesus gave to us in the way he lived his life, his death and his resurrection.  It’s a gift. There are other denominations that only baptize people when they have the maturity to state what they believe.  We don’t require that.  We baptize people because they are a child of God.  Nora and Mae are special and beloved and I am sure they will do all kinds of wonderful things with their lives.  But that is not why we baptize them.  We baptize them because Jesus already provided this gift. They are children of God, and please, make sure to remind them of that…when nothing else seems to be going well….when they feel like a failure.  Remind them that they are children of God and that matters more than anything else.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment